Monday, September 13, 2010

Tips from Venice Film Festival...

Here are some film recommendations to look out for in the future.

L'ultimi Gattopardo: Ritratto di Goffredo Lombardo (Giuseppe Tornatore) - Just 55 mins of this film were screened as it is still a work-in-progress. Tornatore (Cinema Paradiso, Baaria) interviews friends and colleges of the screenwriter Goffredo Lombardo (The Leopard). I found that the film lacked any narrative, but since the subject and documentarian are so important to Italian Cinema, when it's finished it could be a really interesting documentary.

Post Mortem (Pablo Larraín) - Unfortunately this film didn't receive any awards, despite being my (and many others) favourite film. It's full of heart-hitting emotion. Even though the film has so little action, so much happens. The final shot is one I'll never forget. A tour de force!

Silent Souls (Aleksei Fedorchenko) - This film received the highest ratings by the press and also won the award for 'Best Cinematography'. I loved it because it's so poetic, but entertaining at the same time.

Incendies (Denis Villeneuve) - This was by far the strongest film in the 'Venice Days' selection and was awarded a special mention by the '27 Times Cinema' jury. If I told you the plot it would sound awful, but the film is dramatic and surprising.

I'm Still Here (Casey Afleck) - Me and my Danish friend were heart-broken when we queued for over an hour for this film and reached the very top of the queue only to be told there were no more seats. But I noticed it will be showing in the IFI soon so I'm sure the hype that was around it in Venice, will reach us in Ireland too. I can't wait to see it.

Martha (Marcelino Islas Hermández) - Imagine the final segment of Paris je t'aime (the one with Margo Martindale, dir: Alexander Payne). Martha is like a feature version only much more subtle and more awkward. You'll either find it really boring or you'll cry your eyes out.

Conall O Duibhir
Member of the Young Cinephiles Jury
Venice Film Festival

 
I'm Still Here opens at the IFI on October 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment